I am a self-proclaimed bulky & super bulky yarn connoisseur which makes finding summer projects an interesting task as most chunkier fibers are made using wool or acrylic rather than warm-weather friendly cotton blends. I’ve created a few designs holding multiple strands of lighter weight cotton yarn together, including my Lily Romper and my Cat Cozy Bundle, but I wanted to see what my options were for bulky and super bulky cotton and cotton blends. This search quickly led to me to discovering a love for cotton ribbon yarn like this on by Hobbii Yarn!
Ribbon yarn can be made out of various materials–not just cotton–though the 100% cotton options have fast become a favorite for my summer crochet projects. I get the best of both worlds–it is still a bulky yarn so I get to use my larger hooks and create quick projects but it is also lightweight and breathable for the warmer weather.
Some people might get annoyed when using ribbon yarn because it loves to spin and twist while you are working with it. If I am being 100% honest, it is most likely an impossible task to keep the yarn from twisting but I happen love the unique texture it creates even when using simple stitches!
If you were to seek out patterns to use with ribbon yarn, you’d probably see a LOT of baskets, bags and home decor type projects but honestly the sky is the limit with this stuff! I love doubling it up to make heavy duty tote bags for beach days (like I did for my Babe with the Yarn Tote Bag) and have even had my testers use it to make projects like my Romping Willow Overalls for summer.
Now let’s get to the patterns!!! The projects below are just a few patterns that I believe would be fantastic summer crochet projects to make using Ribbon yarn:
- Babe with the Yarn Bag by Pink Sheep Design – You’ll need 685 yards of yarn & a 12mm hook ($7.00)
- Rainbow Rug by Hobbii – You’ll need 822 yards of yarn & a 6.5mm hook (free pattern, kit available)
- Sneaky Buns Bucket Hat by Pink Sheep Design – You’ll need 175 yards of yarn & a 12mm hook ($6.00)
- The Wesley Tote by Jessica Allen of Madison Marie – You’ll need a 6.5mm hook, yardage not listed ($5.00)
- Mariner Cross Body Bag by Pink Sheep Design – You’ll need 420 yards of yarn & a 10mm hook ($7.00)
- Just Hanging Around Basket by Sarah-Jane of Flo And Dot Shop – Yardage & hook size not listed in description ($3.41)
- Keep Palm And Beach Mat On by Knitting Tipsy – You’ll need 1400 – 1650 yards of yarn and a 5mm hook ($7.50)
- Basket Tote Bag by We Are Knitters – You’ll need a 7mm hook, yardage not listed in description (Free Pattern)
- Nesting Baskets by Darcy Babers of Drift Knitwear – Hook Size & Yardage not listed in description ($5.00)
- Bolster Brim Sun Hat By Jsodet Crochet – You’ll need 262 yards of yarn and a 6mm hook ($4.20)
- Put Your Feet Up Floor Cushion by Paintbox Yarn – You’ll need 1048 yards of yarn and an 8mm hook (Free pattern)
- Paintbox Choker by Sam Hermes – You’ll need less than one ball of yarn for this one & a 10 mm hook (Free Pattern)
Not sure where to get ribbon yarn? Here is a list of options to get you started!!! I hope you have fun trying out a new style of yarn or, if you’ve tried ribbon yarn before, I hope you have fun trying out a new project for the coming summer months!!!
- Hobbii Ribbon yarn
- Willow Lillia
- Java Ribbon Yarn
- Mayflower Ribbon Yarn
- Hoooked Ribbon XL Solids
- Hoooked Ribbon XL Neon
- Paintbox Yarns Recycled Ribbon
- The Tape by We Are Knitters
As always, Happy Hooking!!!
Connect with me on social:
- Crochet Patterns, stickers and 3D printed crochet hooks & gauge tools
- Coolest Crochet Themed Apparel EVER (tees, tanks, etc)