3rd Annual Pink Sheep Design #DIYHOOKCHALLENGE
The 2023 DIY Hook Challenge has come to a close BUT we look forward to bringing the DIY Hook Challenge BACK in 2024! Scroll down to watch the 2023 Closing Ceremony, see all of the AMAZING entires and learn more about The DIY Hook Challenge and how it started!
Stay up to date and be the first to know about future challenges by following us on instagram (or YouTube if you don’t have an Instagram account!), joining the Pink Sheep Facebook group, or just bookmarking this page!!!
What IS the DIY Hook Challenge??
My husband (aka Captain Hook!) and I wanted to find a way to foster creativity within the crochet community and challenge our followers to push their creativity in NEW ways!
Every year, starting in May, we 3D print plain white crochet hooks for challenge participants to decorate and then enter their finished creations for the chance to win prizes! Last year we had over 50 final entries and even added a kids category to help encourage family involvement. We know that your kids or partner may not share your interest in crochet but decorating a hook is something anyone in the family can get involved in!
2023 DIY Hook Challenge – CLOSING CEREMONY!!!
2023 DIY Hook Challenge – Functional Category Entries!!!
2023 DIY Hook Challenge – Non Functional Category Entries!!!
2023 DIY Hook Challenge – Kids Category Entries!!!
2023 Challenge Dates & Deadlines
- May 1, 2023 – Official Announcement of this year’s challenge & Pre-orders open for DIY hooks! All you have to do to enter the challenge is purchase one of our white 3D printed crochet hooks and decorate it any way you’d like! Despite inflation, we were able to keep the cost of our DIY Hooks at $15/hook (plus shipping. This year our hooks will be sold UNSANDED but you can still opt to have your hook pre-sanded for an additional $5.00!
- May 30, 2023 – Last day to order your DIY challenge hook!
- June 1, 2023 – ALL hooks will be shipped out to you no later than this date. The sooner you order your hook, the sooner it will be mailed out to you. We will mail hooks out as orders are received!
- June 30, 2023 – Deadline to submit photos of finished hooks for entry to win prizes! I will provide a link to a Google Form to submit your entry/entires. You will be able to submit both photos and a video of your hook entry. You will also be able to share information on your creative process, the story behind your hook, and any details you think would help us when it comes time to judge the hooks!
- July 15, 2023 – CLOSING CEREMONY! Winners will be announced!! This year we will have THREE categories (and THREE grand prizes!!)
2023 DIY Hook Challenge Updates!!!
Categories for the 2023 DIY Hook Challenge:
Functional Hooks: Hooks that can still be used to crochet after being decorated. This could include hooks decorated using paints, sharpies, nail polish, acrylic, resin, mod podge, etc!
Non-Functional Hooks: If you are looking to turn your crochet hook into a work of art that you can display versus crochet with, this is the category for you! This category is for hooks that cannot be used to crochet after being decorated. This could mean you made a sculpture out of your hook (like last years winner, who turned her hook into a yarn hoarding dragon!), or adding/gluing things to your hook that would cause it to be unusable as a crochet hook once you are finished!
Kid’s Hooks: We absolutely LOVED the fact that so many people got their kids involved last year that we felt they needed their own category and a special grand prize! Kids 15 years of age and younger can choose to submit their hooks to the kid’s category!
Prizes for the 2023 DIY Hook Challenge:
Thanks to our AMAZING sponsors, we will have pretty fantastic grand prizes this year! We will have a grand prize winner for each of the three categories listed above! The grand prize winners from the two adult categories will receive:
• A Pink Sheep crochet PRIZE PACK that will include THREE custom
crochet hooks of their choice along with some 3D printed tools, swag and
goodies from our shop! (valued at $200)
• A Project Bag from MUUD (valued at $165)
• Their choice of either a Maker’s Tote or Maker’s Backpack from Della Q (valued at $130)
• A gift pack from Universal Yarn
• A $75 gift card to Premier Yarns
• A Lumos Lumos Knitting Light (valued at $49.95)
We will also have a grand prize winner from our kids category who will win a Creativity Gift Pack with craft supplies and goodies to keep their creative juices flowing!
A HUGE Thanks to our 2023 Sponsors!
Scroll down to get inspired by entires and updates from 2021 and 2022 challenges!
2022 Winner’s Announcement & Closing Ceremony
2022 DIY Hook Challenge WINNERS!!!!!
2022 DIY Hook Challenge – Functional Category Entries
2022 Non-Functional Category Entries
2022 Kids Category Entries
#DIYHookChallenge 2022 Updates!!!
Scroll down to see the 2022 DIY Hook Challenge updates & hook entires!!