Summer is here which means many of you are breaking out the lighter weight and cotton blend yarn for summer projects! Also, with restrictions for in-person gatherings lifting, some of you may be planning to be vendors at some craft shows or artist markets this summer! I wanted to gather some quick & simple crochet projects that are not only great for summer, but also great for making and bringing to summer craft shows!
Crochet Water Balloons! Despite never making these myself, they are at the top of my list because the majority of the patterns for these call for super bulky yarn & I feel like they are a PERFECT summer craft show project, especially for family events! You could even purchase some colorful beach buckets from the dollar store to sell with the balloons as a bundle!
- The Hook Pusher has a fun beginner-friendly water balloon pattern in her Etsy shop for $4.29! You will need blanket yarn and a 9mm hook for this project!
- Need a little more guidance? Left in Knots has a Youtube tutorial on how to make her version of these reusable water balloons!
Scrunchies! Scrunchies will never go out of style (not if you are a cool kid, anyway… lol!) so here are a few fun patterns to channel your 80’s vibe this summer!
- Retro Scrunchies designed by yours truly! These are meant to emulate the look of traditional fabric scrunchies and were one of my favorite items to bring to summer craft shows! You’ll need a worsted (4) weight cotton yarn and a 6.5mm hook! $3.00
- White Owl Crochet Co has a fantastic velvet scrunchies pattern! You’ll need velvet yarn and a 5.5mm hook! $4.29
- Looking for a more minimal design? Check out Christina Ann Studio’s scrunchies pattern! She includes an option for both worsted and bulky weight yarn! $4.00
- Not a traditional scrunchie but HAD to be included on this list… The “Bigger the Bow Scrunchie” by Knot and Twist Designs is such a cool design and definitely worth adding to your list for a fun summer project! $3.68
Cozies for EVERYTHING! Cozies have become a very trendy project and you can find them fro everything from coffee cups & bottles to mason jars and freezer pops! Oh, did I mention skinny cans and ice cream pints??? Seriously you can find cozies for everything and I wanted to share a few fun patterns for them here!
- Coffee & Bottle Cats! I finally released this pattern bundle for my coffee and bottle cat-themed cozies that were a best seller for YEARS at my craft shows when I was still selling finished products!! I knew it was time to share them with the world! These are super fun and I even created some fun templates to use to package and sell them! You will need two strands of worsted (4) weight cotton held together and a 10mm hook! $6
- Keeping with the cat theme, check out the pattern for these SUPER cute cat themed ice-pop/freezer-pop cozies by Hooked by Angel! You’ll need a worsted weight (4) cotton yarn for this project. $2.99
- Heather Moore Makes has a pattern bundle for some super cute bobble cozies in 12 different sizes! From coffee go-cups to wide mouth mason jars you will be able to make these for pretty much all of the things you can think of! You’ll need Bulky Yarn (Recommended: Bernat Maker Home Dec) & a 5.5mm Crochet Hook for this pattern. $8.00
- I love this Happy Sprinkles Ice Cream Cozy Pattern by The Midnight Stitcher! Simple, super cute and beginner friendly! The pattern cals for holding together 2 strands of both bulky (5) and Medium (4) weight yarn & using a 5mm/H hook. $5.50
- Cozy Moon Designs has a fun color blocked slim can cozy called the Sunset Chill Cozy! This pattern calls for a 5.5 mm crochet hook and cotton yarn! $5.50
- The Megan Coffee Cozy Trio Pattern Bundle by The Little Yarnery includes a coffee cozy, cold brew cozy, and a mug cozy option! You’ll need Worsted (4) weight Cotton & a 5mm hook! $5.00
Coasters: This felt like a good follow up to the Cozy Category! Coasters are another super simple and quick project for summer and there are SO many to choose from! Here a few I found that I thought were worth sharing!
- The Zinnia Coaster by MelanieJeanCo is a beautiful textured coaster that can be made in different sizes depending on the yarn or cord used. You’ll need bulky (5) weight yarn & a 6mm hook! $4.00
- The Teagan Coaster Set by TLB Patterns is a super fun coaster set for intermediate hookers that uses the tapestry crochet technique to create a modern geometric style! You will need a worsted weight (4) cotton and a 3.75mm Crochet Hook. $5.25
- Cactus Coaster Set by Mosie and Me is beginner friendly (and SO cute!!!). The hook and yarn is not mentioned in the listing but it looks like a worsted weight cotton yarn! $4.00
- Simple Coaster Set & Holder by My Alpaca Studio includes both a written pattern and video to guide you! Bobbiny cotton cord (3mm) is recommended for this project along with a 6mm hook! $7.00
- The Madison Mug Rug by Love and Stitch Designs is a beginner friendly pattern with a trendy and modern vibe. You will need worsted (4) weight cotton & a 5mm hook! $2.99
- Not a coaster but SUPER cool (and I guess kind of the opposite of a coaster?) are these Crochet Mason Jar Covers by CAAB Crochet! They protect your drinks from dirt and bugs, while also helping people keep track of which cup is theirs. You will need worsted (4) weight cotton & a 6mm hook! $3.00
Water Bottle Slings. There are some fun water bottle sling patterns out there but I felt that Heather Moore Makes deserved another shout out in this round up for her Nomad Water Bottle Holder! I was looking for water bottle slings that used bulkier yarn since this round up is all about QUICK summer projects and this pattern calls for bulky crochet cord and a 9mm hook! It has options for a shorter loophole for the strap or a cross body option! Super cool pattern! $8.00
Planters & Baskets. These are always a fun option for summer projects and there are TONS of options out there but here are a few I thought were pretty darn cool!
- The Pixie Planter by Days Crochet NC is a super cute mini wall-hanging planter that calls for Big Twist Textile yarn, or a super bulky weight size 6 yarn of your choice and an 8mm hook! $3.00
- HANG IN THERE Plant Hangers by Jellybean Junction UK includes 2 designs for SUPER cute hanging planters! You will need Aran weight cotton and a 4mm hook! $5.74
- This Crochet Mini Basket/Plant Cozy by Pixies Magic Hook is a super cute beginner friendly pattern! The pattern calls for 5mm Bobbiny (or similar) cotton rope and a 8mm hook! $4.36
Other Super Fun Summer Projects:
- Lip Balm Holders! This super cute Lip Balm Holder by Craftily Concocted even includes printable templates for displaying finished pieces at craft shows and shops! You’ll need a light (3) weight yarn. $4.00
- Frisbees!! Wait… did you say Crochet Frisbees??? YUP! The Boho Blossom Frisbee Pattern by R Crafty Creations is SUPER cute even flies when wet! You’ll need worsted (4) weight cotton! $3.00
- Pouches! This cute little origami-esque personal pouch pattern by Heart Hook Home is super cute and perfect for storing treasures! You will need a 2.75mm crochet hook and light (3) weight yarn. $3.00
- Self care items are also great for quick summer projects! Think face scrubbies, wash cloths, etc.! The Bathroom Crochet Patterns Bundle by Handy Little Me includes instructions for washbag, face scrubbies, wash cloth, shower pouf, soap saver, wash mitt, and soap bag! $11.62
- Kitchen scrubbies are another awesome summer project and there are lots of unique patterns out there including the Classic Dish Sponge by The Strawberry Garden ($3.25), The Roll-Up Dish Donut by Mama Crochetti ($3.00), and the simple Kitchen scrubby by Kehrer Berry Crafts ($2.00).
- Pocket Worry Cats are a fun little project that you can work up SUPER fast! They are just a fun little novelty item that I created to gift to friends who had lost a furry friend but I realized that anyone could “collect them” as a sweet little treasure! $3.00