Time for another chunky crochet pattern round up–this one may be the coziest one yet! I’ve highlighted twelve amazing chunky crochet jacket and coat patterns for all your winter layering needs!! I hope you guys find a new project (or a few!) from this list to add to your WIPs for the coming winter weather!
This round up focuses on crochet patterns that call for super bulky (6) weight yarn aka super chunky yarn. This means they will work up relatively quick!
- The Enchanted Sweater Jacket by Jodi of Lambent Crochet – (Intermediate/Advanced) The Enchanted Sweater Jacket will keep you warm, cozy and looking beautiful. Making you feel as though you stepped into a fairytale. It is an intermediate to advanced level crochet pattern with detailed written instructions. This pattern includes instructions for sizes XS/S – 3X/4X. You will need a 9mm and 10mm crochet hook & super bulky (6) weight yarn for this project!
- Willow Jacket by Angie Bivins of Whistle And Wool – (Beginner/Easy) A classic and elegant Moto/Tux inspired jacket to add style to any outfit. Seamless raglan construction and lapel details add shaping and a modern feel. So many style options with this one! Written with instructions for XS-4X. You will need a 6.5mm hook and a bulky (5) weight yarn for this project!
- The Mini Puff Jacket by Evelyn of Pink Sheep Design – (Beginner/Easy) This is the “little sister” to my Power Puff jacket and is perfect for layering! This design is written with inclusive sizing for XXS/XS-4X/5X AND has LOTS of photos to guide you. You will need super bulky (6) weight yarn and an 11-11.5mm hook for this project!
- The Classic Bomber Jacket by Grace of For the frills Store – (Easy/Intermediate) Cozy and chunky, there’s nothing like a classic bomber jacket! The oversized fit and open stitches work together to create a modern crochet cardigan. Plus it has super fun “hidden pockets” which I love!! Written with instructions for XS-3X. You will need super bulky (6) weight yarn and a 12mm hook for this project!
- Cuddle Coat by Brianna Sipp of Hooked By Brianna – (Made to Measure) When I saw this jacket on Etsy I knew it had to be included in this round up because it looks so DARN COZY!!! This is a made to measure design that calls for both super bulky (6) weight yarn & bulky (5) weight yarn as well as both a Size 7mm & 4mm crochet hook!
- The Power Puff Jacket by Evelyn of Pink Sheep Design – (Beginner/Easy) I am SO excited about this jacket!!!!! I challenged myself to use a yarn that is primarily used to make blankets and pet beds to make a truly functional and FUN statement jacket that you can layer over a sweatshirt on those super chilly days! The pockets are the cherry on top! It is written with inclusive sizing for XXS/XS, XS/S, S/M, M/L, L/XL, XL/2X, 2X/3X, 3X/4X, & 4X/5X AND has LOTS of photos to guide you. You will need jumbo (7) weight yarn and a 25mm hook for this project!
- Woodland Dreams Coat by Lisa of LM Handmade Boutique – (Intermediate) The Woodland Dreams Coat has cozy comfort and hippie style with a flare design and a beautiful uniquely designed hood you are just going to love! You will need a 9mm hook & super bulky (6) yarn for this project! Pattern is written in size medium with measurements for S- XXL.
- Chunky Sherpa Coat by Jessica Potasz of Mama In A Stitch – (Beginner/Easy) Get ready to cuddle up in this cozy, chunky, sherpa fleece coat! Using jumbo yarn and a large hook, it works up quickly and easily using only single crochet stitches. Featuring slanted pockets and a roomy optional hood, it’s perfect for fall and winter alike. This ultra soft coat will be your new wardrobe staple. Written with instructions for S-3X. You will need a 15 mm crochet hook & Jumbo (7) weight yarn like Lion Brand Go For Fleece Sherpa for this project!
- The Winky Jacket by Evelyn of Pink Sheep Design – (Beginner/Easy) The Winky Jacket is a perfect project for both beginners & experienced crocheters who like projects that work up quickly and easily! This particular design is meant to have an oversized fit so you can layer it over a sweatshirt or hoodie and is written with inclusive sizing for XXS/XS-4X/5X with LOTS of photos to guide you. You will be holding super bulky (6) weight yarn double for this project and using a 20mm hook!
- Wandering Jane Jacket/Blazer by Elina V. of Capitana Uncino – (Intermediate) This jacket is just show stopping IMO and I knew it needed to be in this round up!! I love that Elina often uses mainly slip stitches in her designs to create a super unique look to her final pieces! Written with instructions for S-3X. You will need super bulky (6) weight yarn and an 8mm, 10mm & 12mm hook for this project!
- The “Teddy” Bomber by Heather Cummings of Cozy Creative Crochets – This is such a unique looking design and would be the perfect statement layering piece for a fun winter wardrobe! Written with instructions for S/M-XL/XXL. You will need super bulky (6) weight yarn for this project (hook size is not listed).
- Bombs Away Cardigan by Lorene Haythorn Eppolite- Cre8tion Crochet – (Easy/Intermediate) The Bombs Away Cardigan is a cute and stylish short cropped cardigan that’s perfect for slightly cooler weather. It sits right above the hip level with the ability to lengthen if so desired. The fur trimming and pull-able cord on the hood adds a trendy element of style that is sure to please. Written with instructions for XS-5X. You will need super bulky (6) weight yarn and a 7mm hook for this project!
- Mossy Jacket by Katarina of By Katerina Designs – I love the unique, fitted shape of this jacket! It has a closer fit, shaped around waist and the buttons really give it a dressier feel–plus it also has pockets! You will need chunky (5) weight yarn for this one!
- Oversized Ribbed Jacket by La Dria LaVae – This is such a cool jacket design! I love the oversized cozy look of it and the fact that it has a zipper and POCKETS takes it over the top! You will need two strands of worsted weight yarn held together OR chunky (5) weight yarn!!!
- The Power Puff Bomber Jacket by Evelyn of Pink Sheep Design – I love that I can layer this over a sweatshirt or hoodie and almost ALWAYS get compliments on it from strangers! If you love feeling “snug as a bug in a rug”, this is the project for you! You will need jumbo (7) weight yarn for this project or you can hold multiple strands of yarn together for this one!
I hope you guys enjoyed this round up! Looking for more chunky outerwear? Check out last year’s chunky cardigan pattern round up!
Need help choosing super bulky or jumbo yarn?? Check out the latest ULTIMATE Super Bulky Yarn Round Up – Fall/Winter 2022 Here!