Crochet-A-Long: The Tonks Hoodie!
Who’s ready for a new Crochet-A-Long???? 🙋♀️🧶
I’ve had a LOT of requests for a Crochet A Long for the Tonks Hoodie and I’m so excited to announce that it’s official! The Tonks Hoodie CAL will start February 21, 2023!! Part one will be Tuesday, February 21, 2023 so you have time to order or purchase your yarn before ewe kick things off!
Subscribe HERE to get updates about this CAL!
If you’ve never participated in one of my CALs before, I do them a little differently… 😆 I LOVE going live and crocheting along with you guys, so every Tuesday throughout the CAL I will go live on my Youtube channel at 12pm CT for an hour and crochet each section with you!
If you are on Facebook be sure to join the Pink Sheep Design Facebook group so you can share your progress or use the hashtag #TonksHoodieCAL on Instagram!
The videos will go into a special YouTube playlist so that you can catch up anytime if you can’t make it to the live sessions! I don’t provide the PDF pattern as part of the CAL but I DO show each section of the pattern on the video as we move through the project so that you can pause it to see instructions for your size. I do recommend purchasing the PDF Version so you can follow along–espcially if you are still learning how to read crochet patterns, this is a GREAT way to improve your pattern reading skills!
You can also check in here on this blog post for updates and information in once place! I will be pre-scheduling the videos on YouTube so you can set reminders and will include links to those videos here! The first live session to kick off the CAL goes over everything you need to know about the project, including yarn recommendations, yardage, hook recommendations, gauge, and how to choose your size! Watch the intro below! Instructions for each part of the CAL will be added to this post the day of the Live scheduled video. Scroll down to set reminders for each video, watch previous parts or view instructions for each section of the CAL as they become available!
Here’s a breakdown of what you need (& need to know) for this CAL:
- The Tonks Hoodie is written with instructions for the following sizes: XS/S, S/M, M/L, L/XL, XL/2X, 2X/3X, 3X/4X AND has LOTS of photos to guide you. I also include a full measurement guide at the end of the PDF pattern with photos of my testers in their jackets, along with which size they made and their body measurements to help you truly choose the right size for you!
- Estimated chest circumference for each size! This is meant to be an oversized hoodie, so if you want it to be more fitted you can size down! XS/S (42″), S/M (50″), M/L (58″), L/XL (66″), XL/2X (74″), 2X/3X (82″), 3X/4X (90″)
- Yarn Needed: Super Bulky Weight (6) yarn. You can also double up a bulky (5) weight yarn, just be sure to check your gauge!
- Yardage needed for each size: 750(XS/S), 800(S/M), 900(M/L), 1000(L/XL), 1100(XL/2X), 1200(2X/3X), 1300(3X/4X)
- 15mm or 16mm crochet hook depending on your gauge
- Gauge (4″x4″): 5 HDC stitches x 4 HDC rows
- Tapestry Needle and scissors
Looking for a good ergonomic hook for this project? You can find our 3D printed, ergonomic jumbo hooks HERE
Need help choosing the right yarn for this project? Here are some great options to get you started!
- Lion Brand Wool Ease Thick & Quick
- Big Twist Natural Blend Yarn & K+C Cozy Yarn by Joann
- Loops & Threads® Cozy Wool™ Yarn & Caron® Tea Cakes™ Yarn sold at Michaels
- Premier So Woolly, Premier Anti-Pilling Everyday Bulky, Premier Parfait Chunky, Premier Basix Chenille, Premier Snow Cone Light Chenille
- Universal Yarn Uptown Super Bulky
- Paintbox Yarns Wool Mix Super Chunky & James C. Brett Rustic Mega Chunky sold by LoveCrafts
- Tuff Puff & Mighty Stitch Super Bulky sold by WeCrochet
- Lion Brand Hometown USA, Lion Brand Mandala Thick & Quick, Lion Brand Chunky Chill Yarn, Lion Brand Feels Like Butta® Thick & Quick® Yarn, Lion Brand Cover Story Yarn & I Wanna Make a Blankie Yarn, Lion Brand Re-Spun Thick & Quick® Yarn
- Bernat Blanket Yarn, Bernat Softee Chunky, Bernat Forever Fleece, Bernat Pop Bulky & Bernat Casa
- Patons Highland Bulky & Highland Tweeds Bulky
- Big Twist Cuddle by Joann, Big Twist Mellow, K+C Craft Alpaca Yarn, Big Twist Shimmer, Big Twist Lavish Yarn by Joann
- Chenille Home Slim™ Solid Yarn by Loops & Threads®, Sweet Snuggles™ Lite Yarn by Loops & Threads®, Cozy Sherpa™ Yarn by Loops & Threads®, Sweet Snuggles™ Yarn by Loops & Threads®, Chenille Home™ Yarn by Loops & Threads®, Caron® Anniversary Cakes™ Yarn & Caron® Spice Cakes™ Yarn Sold at Michaels
- Hobbii Amigo Giga, Hobbii Fantasy Jumbo
- Cascade Big Wheel, Hayfield Bonus Super Chunky & King Cole Big Value Super Chunky sold by LoveCrafts
- Mill House Super Bulky sold by WeCrochet
Let’s Get This Crochet Party Started!!!
Part Two: The Back Panel!
Remember, if you would like an AD free version of this pattern that also includes a full photo tutorial you can purchase it here in my Etsy shop!
For this design, you will create three separate rectangles to start out–the back panel and two front panels. We will start with the back panel!
Row 1: HDC in 2nd ch FTH, HDC 32(33,34,35,36,36,37) across, turn [33,34,35,36,37,37,38]
Row 2-22(26,30,34,38,42,46): CH 1, HDC 33(34,35,36,37,37,38) across
Tie off on last row
Part Three: The Front Panels!
Row 1: HDC in 2nd ch FTH, HDC 29(30,31,32,33,34,35) across, turn [30,31,32,33,34,35,36]
Row 2-6(8,10,12,14,16,18): CH 1, HDC 30(31,32,33,34,35,36) across, turn, tie off on last row
Repeat for 2nd panel
Part Four: Sewing up your Panels & Adding the Hood!
Here you will “sew” up the shoulders using SC stitches!
*estimated 9(11,13,15,17,19,21,23) stitches total*
Now that you have both shoulders secured, it is time to use the same SC technique for the sides!
Join into the 10th(11th,11th,12th,12th,13th,13th,14th) stitch from the top of the shoulder
Use SC stitches to “sew up” the sides until there are 5 stitches left to the bottom of the front panel. This will create the slit in the side of the pullover. Repeat on the other side!
ADDING THE HOOD:
Join 5 stitches below the neck on the inner border
Row 1: Ch 1, 5 HDC up the inside border, 12 HDC across neck, 5 HDC down the other inner border, turn
Row 2-18: HDC 22 across for 18 rows
Sew up top of hood (mattress stitch).
Part Five: Adding the Front border!
Time for the front border! Join at the bottom of the inner front panel (shown in the photo below)
Rows 1-5: 25(26,27,28,29,30,31) HDC up inner border, 36 SC around hood border, 25(26,27,28,29,30,31) HDC down opposite inner border
SEWING UP THE FRONT:
Use mattress stitch to sew up the front of your hoodie! Now it is time to do a quick fit check! You can always add 1-2 additional rows to the front border if you need a bit more width to your hoodie! I used photos from another one of my Tonks hoodies for this part so that you can see what it looks like to have a contrasting front border instread of using all one color!
Part Six: Adding the Hoodie Pocket!
Will be uploaded March 21, 2023
Part Seven: Adding the Sleeves!
Will be uploaded March 28, 2023